Monday, July 1, 2013

Food and Sex in the Holy Land

Today I'm going to talk about:

FOOD AND SEX!

Here are subcontents:

FOOD:
1) The filthiness of the kitchen
1.5) Kitchen Duty

SEX:
1) Interesting sides of sex in Orthodox Judaism
1.5) Sexy Song of Songs
1.75) Purity vs. Specialness

FOOD PART 1: THE FILTHINESS OF THE KITCHEN

First, the kitchen. Today was my first kitchen duty, which means I need to get up earlier and help make breakfast, set up lunch, show up early to make dinner, and then clean up after each.  I actually find this pretty satisfying.  It feels good to contribute and do a little work and feed people.

But the kitchen is disgusting!!!!! I kind of dry heave when I’m in it. There’s not really AC (which I do not understand) so it’s very hot.  Food is not put away or covered properly so there’s flies and ants and… grasshoppers and beetles.  There’s this smell all the time… I can’t quite place it, but I think it’s something rotting.  People will take milk out and then just… leave it there, for hours. There’s grime on everything.  People use a dish, rinse it (without scrubbing or soap or anything) and then put it with the clean dishes!!!  Israelis may have stomachs of steel or something, but just thinking about this makes me sick.  My mother may not have been a Jewish mother, but she set extremely high standards for cleanliness, it appears.

We take dishes out of the dishwasher and they still have bits of food and grime on them (I wash them by hand because I can’t stand it).  Earlier I was washing a bunch of disgusting dishes and an Israeli who was cooking came and took them out of my hands.  “They’re filthy,” I said, “I’m washing them.” And she just shrugged and said “It doesn’t matter.” And put them away!

After I had some free time so I was helping out with the cleanup, and this Israeli told me I didn’t have to help out for another half hour, and I said I was free so I would anyway (secretly I just really wanted to actually clean some things…) and she smirked and said. “Chamuda.” (“Cute.”)

When I’m cooking with my mom at home, I get hungrier and hungrier as we cook, and sneak bites of things.  When I’m cooking here, I lose my appetite. I miss you, Mom.

It’s a little frustrating to me, the contrast between keeping kosher and keeping clean. I thought part of keeping a Jewish home was keeping things absurdly clean.  We have separate fridges, counters, sinks, plates, silverware, pots, pans etc for meat and for dairy.  Two complete sets of each and two sides of the kitchen.  We keep them strictly separate.

BUT we eat off of dirty dishes!!!! Which is really more important?!?

After our shift I was scrubbing the counter and my buddy was like “We’re done, Ariane. We’re done! Come on!”

PART 1.5 - KITCHEN DUTY

I wrote that first part after breakfast.  I'm writing this part after dinner.

So today’s kitchen duty ended up being heftier than most because there was a donor visiting so we did a big clean and made a huge dinner.  So I ended up being in the kitchen for a total of maybe 8 hours… I just did the math, I’m not exaggerating. My dad always says that if I move to Israel I need to make sure to get a job that suits my skills, and not end up on a kibbutz somewhere picking lemons for Zion.

I waved him off.  I'd pick lemons for Zion!  I'd scrub toilets for Zion! I'd do pushups for Zion!  Menial labor is not menial when it's for such a great big cause!

NO. KITCHEN DUTY FOR ZION IS STILL KITCHEN DUTY.

My work buddy said, "You know that sign entering Auschwitz? WORK MAKES YOU FREE? It's like that."

I said no no, it's more like what Jabotinksy said Israel needs, people who do everything, people who can be scholars one minute and kitchen grunts the next minute.

Hours passed as we scrubbed and cut vegetables and sliced onions and did dishes.  People got grumpier and grumpier.  I saw that Israeli rudeness everyone has told me about but I realize now I'd never previously seen. "Why are you using THAT sponge? Why are you cutting tomatoes like THAT? Why are you doing what SHE told you to do when you should be doing what I told you to do?" And I knew they were hitting their peak when they sighed and started talking in Hebrew to each other right in front of me.  I just tried to keep my head down and keep working.

I'm really good at cutting tomatoes now.

Things got a bit better when we were nearing the end and cleaning up after dinner.  We could all see the end was near and people lightened up.  There was this Israeli guy who'd earlier judged me when I said I was anxious about our upcoming camping trip who watched me carefully as I washed dishes in the sink next to his.  When my sink got clogged, I put my hair back and reached in with both hands, elbow deep in disgusting garbage water, tugging bits of food out of the drain, and he grinned at me and said. "I have so much more respect for you right now!"

Afterward one of the head girls came and apologized, she said it was just a long day for everyone and they shouldn't have been so overbearing.  I waved her off and I realize now that was sincere on my part.  It was a long day for everybody.  And as much work as I did, they still did the bulk of it.  For every onion a chopped the Israeli girl next to me probably chopped 3. And they were the ones organizing everything, making all those tomatoes into an actual meal.

I don't think I want to work in a kitchen for Zion. I'm glad I did it this time.  I'm glad I don't have to do it every day.


SEX PART 1: INTERESTING SIDES OF SEX IN ORTHODOX JUDAISM

I’m going to be honest and blunt here again, shield your eyes if discussions of sexuality make you uncomfortable.

So as a secular Jew, I'm mostly in the minority in this program.  It's kind of weird calling myself secular.  That's not what I am.  I believe in God, and I identify as Jewish.  But it seems like saying "I'm secular" makes people here understand me better than anything else I've tried.

Anyway, a good portion of the group are modern orthodox Jews, which I didn't really expect and has been challenging but also really fascinating. Of course I'm most interested in talking to the girls about what sex and romance are like in their worlds.

They are Shomer Negiah, which means they will not touch men until their wedding day.  They can brush past men if necessary, and one of them said if a man offers his hand when they meet she will shake it, because "his pride is more important than my purity."

Of course I have so many questions about this! I'm going to post this as questions and answers.  Picture us on our bunk beds in pajamas.  I'm combining them into "the girls" to protect their privacy on this blog.

ARIANE: Really? No kissing? No touching?
THE GIRLS: Really!

ARIANE: But... but... what does dating entail? What do you do?
THE GIRLS: We get coffee, get dinner, go to the movies, go for walks... the difference is we basically date with marriage in mind.

ARIANE: But does that remove the suspense? Is there any will-he-won't-he in a dating scenario like that?
THE GIRLS: Oh sure, tons. Will he call? Does he like me? Is this going somewhere?  It just eliminates the possibility that he's just looking for a fling or to use me because that's not possible for us.

ARIANE: How does the relationship grow and progress without any advancing physical intimacy?
THE GIRLS: We have really intense conversations.  We get to know each other incredibly intimately. One time I broke up with a guy and I was terrified because he knew everything about me, everything. There's an intense bond eve if you don't touch.

ARIANE: But how do you know you'll be physically compatible? How do you know he'll touch you in a way that you would like?
THE GIRLS: You can tell a lot about how someone will treat you.  How does he treat you in every other part of the relationship?  How does he carry himself? How does he treat others? What's the vibe?

ARIANE: But what if he turns out to have some bedroom tastes severely different from yours?
THE GIRLS: Well, there's always divorce.
GIRL 1: Yeah that happened to someone I know.  It does backfire sometimes.

ARIANE: What are the benefits to all this, though? Why wait, really?
THE GIRLS: It intensifies the physical relationship between a man and wife.  You learn everything together.  Everything is new and exciting.  So many couples are already bored of each other by the time they get married if they've been having sex all along.
ARIANE: But if you're going to get bored, you're going to get bored.  Maybe after marriage, but isn't it the same idea?
THE GIRLS: No, because there are rules governing sex in a marriage.  You know how men can't touch women the week of their period or the week following?
ARIANE: Yes.  Pretty insulting.
THE GIRLS: Not really. It's designed to keep your sex life spicy.  Married couples operate in a 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off system.  You can't touch each other for two weeks because of the prohibition. But you're still living in the same space, so there's all this intense tension that just builds and builds.  Then after two weeks, you have wild passionate sex for two weeks, and so on.  God is totally looking out for your sex life.
ARIANE:  ...WOW.
THE GIRLS: There's another rule that I like - you can only have sex in half-light.  It's nice because I will always retain some mystique, all my little blemishes will never be on display for someone to see.
ARIANE: ...WOW.

I don't really agree with these things in principle, but I'd never really thought about the period prohibition as a way of maintaining sexual tension in a marriage.  It reminds me of Carrie keeping her own apartment away from Big in Sex and the City and how it helps their relationship to have time apart.

 On the guys side, I had a really interesting conversation with one dude who said he was very skeptical of the way sex is handled in orthodoxy.  He said it's asking you to constantly fight against your own body, your impulses and instincts, and that maybe people aren't meant to live in eternal conflict with themselves like that.  He also reminded me that these laws don't just apply to touching women - Orthodoxy forbids men from masturbating because of the sin of lost seed.

My internalized therapist shudders at this.  That sounds like the fastest way to create serious neuroses. No romantic touch, no relief even from your own hands. I wonder if there are any studies on this?  How does this really effect people in the long run? I feel like we're unlikely to know because insulated religious communities don't seem that they'd likely participate in a study like that.  Does anyone know?  There must be something... somebody's Divinity School thesis or something.

PART 1.5 - SEXY SONG OF SONGS

But something snapped inside me when we were talking about Song of Songs today.  If you haven’t read Song of Songs, please go do so now.  Here’s a link. (there are 8 short chapters, navigation at the top and bottom, the supposed narrator roles are bolded) It’s short and gorgeous and very sensual.

So, like every part of the Torah, you can read Song of Songs a million ways.  One of those ways, is a love story between the Jewish people and the land of Israel.

But one of those ways is a love story between a woman and her lover.  This is an amazing thing.  After a long, long Bible full of prohibitions against sex, stories of rape and abuse, stories of purity and abstinence, here is a very rich and sexy song that celebrates love, anatomy, experimentation, embracing, passion, and the pleasure and bliss that comes uniquely from people entwining.

Even if you want to read this as an allegory for the Jewish people and Israel, you have to respect that this allegory is written in sexual terms!  Even if the writers only intended for this to be a Zionist text, it’s a Zionist text written like sex! You can’t ignore this!  Why would you want to?  It’s so beautiful and full.  It’s encouraging us to fill our hearts and bodies for the land, to love the land as we’d love a lover.  What do people do when they first come to Israel, or when we return? Fall on our knees and kiss the ground.  We hike and sweat and our skin bakes in the sun, and then we dive into deep dark cool pools and then dry in the desert air.  This is such a physical place. This is such the opposite of musty dark halls and ghettos in exile. This is a growing thriving place overflowing with life.  And life, you know, produces life through love.  The first commandment is to be fruitful.

It frankly breaks my heart that one (or three, or however many contributors to the Talmud) would ignore this in favor of breaking it down into rules.  The Song of Songs itself says:

Love is fierce as death,
Passion is mighty as Sheol;
Its darts are darts of fire,
A blazing flame.
Vast floods cannot quench love,
Nor rivers drown it.

Love bows to no laws! Your man or your country, love like a fire!

There’s one verse repeated several times in Song of Songs which is:

Do not wake or rouse
Love until it Please!

And this is interpreted by the rabbis, and by us in class consequently, as, “don’t hurry love, don’t push love before it’s time”

To which I say…

WHAT?!?

I raised my hand and asked that we look at the preceding lines:

His left hand was under my head
His right hand caressed me (His right arm embraced me)
I adjure you, O maidens of Jerusalem:
Do not wake or rouse 
Love until it please!

I think this means the opposite of don’t rush love, especially in the context of Song of Songs, which is full of heaving breasts and doe eyes and midnight meetings and dew dripping from bangs and fertile fields and juice and fruit.   I think it means, “Don’t disturb us.” Like “Let sleeping dogs lie.”  Let lovers lie, too.

Our teacher acknowledged this was a potential reading but not the reading in the Talmud, so basically there’s no point talking about it right now.



THIS is what I so resent about the Talmud. Its readings are the “most important.” Even when their readings are a bunch of old men taking the Song of Songs and turning it into a dry dissection of when and when not to move to Israel.  Isn’t stripping the love and sex out of Song and Songs a misreading?  If not a misreading, it’s at least really depressing.

To me, anyway.

My classmate pointed out to me that this is not a literature class.  This is a class on Zionism. That’s why we read it the way that we did.  But I still argue there’s nothing more powerfully Zionist than a passionate love story between a people and their land.  Why would we not discuss a love letter from our ancestors to our homeland?

And what's more, reading the "don't rouse love" line in a certain way completely impacts the way you'd read this as a Zionist text.  If you say it means "don't rush love" it would support the idea that we need to wait to enter the promised land until the correct time.

But I think Song of Songs argues for the complete opposite of don't rush love.  Let's look at the most famous passage:

I slept but my heart was awake.
    Listen! My beloved is knocking:
“Open to me, my sister, my darling,
    my dove, my flawless one.
My head is drenched with dew,
    my hair with the dampness of the night.”
3 I have taken off my robe—
    must I put it on again?
I have washed my feet—
    must I soil them again?
4 My beloved thrust his hand through the latch-opening;
    my heart began to pound for him.
5 I arose to open for my beloved,
    and my hands dripped with myrrh,
my fingers with flowing myrrh,
    on the handles of the bolt.
6 I opened for my beloved,
    but my beloved had left; he was gone.
    My heart sank at his departure.[a]
I looked for him but did not find him.
    I called him but he did not answer.
7 The watchmen found me
    as they made their rounds in the city.
They beat me, they bruised me;
    they took away my cloak,
    those watchmen of the walls!
8 Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you—
    if you find my beloved,
what will you tell him?
    Tell him I am faint with love.

Don't hurry? No! This passage is saying: DON'T WAIT! When love knocks, answer! Don't hem and haw in bed.  Don't fiddle with the lock.  Answer! Let it in!

If this is Zionism... go to Israel! Don't wait for the perfect time! Get off your butt and go!

I feel like I make a caricature of myself always bringing this kind of thing up in class.  It’s funny because I feel like people in the States are always implying I’m prudish and here I feel on the other end of the spectrum. It’s probably all in my head here, and no one is actually judging.  But in my head I feel strange expressing myself about this here.

PART 1.75: PURITY AND SPECIALNESS

Which leads me to talking about how it feels to be somewhat of a heathen in this environment.

First, for those of you reading this who are not familiar with Israel, you should know that much of Israel (most?) is similar to the states in its rather free love attitude.  I don't want you to read this and think that Israel is a sexually repressed country. Quite the opposite.  But right now I'm talking about purity here, so I'm going to dwell on that.

Remember also that I'm currently at a school for zionist thinking in the Judean Desert which is enclosed and which has a number of Orthodox participants, so this is a very particular environment.

I have to be really cognizant of my body in this atmosphere.

First, I need to be very careful about touching men.  At home, I'm a very affectionate person.  I love to hug my friends.  I love high-fives.  I love patting people on the back when they do a good job.  Etc.  Here, I need to assume I can't do those things.  If I have the impulse to hug someone, I have to remember to say "Do you hug?" before I glomp them.  And sometimes they say "no, I don't." and then there's that awkward moment where I'm like "oh, well... uh... okay bye!"

None of the guys here are so strict that if I accidentally bumped into them it would cause a problem.  But I did run into people like that in Jerusalem.  I was in a cafe and I was standing in a narrow hall next to a box of forks.  An observant man wanted to put a fork in the box and I offered to put it in for him, but he refused to hand it to me (either because you can't hand things to women on their periods and he didn't know whether or not I was on mine, or because he was worried he'd accidentally touch me in handing me the fork) so we had to awkwardly shuffle down the hall and back again in opposite positions.

So I kind of feel like I have a girl-plague.

Then I have to be thoughtful about how I dress. We all hiked down in very high heat to a valley where there was a spring.  And I was the only girl who put on a bathing suit (well, one of them also wore a bikini top!). The other girls swam in their clothes. One girl said, "Man, I wouldn't wear a bathing suit in this crowd..."

Clearly I have no shame
And I have to say I've never seen men avoid me in a bathing suit before. But a lot of them did, or seemed to.

Then I have to be thoughtful of how I move. At Shabbat there were some Eastern songs and my instinct is to dance! In a kind of.... belly dance-ish way?  I don't mean like gyrating.  Just kind of swaying and waving my arms and stuff.  It felt natural and fine.  And one girl said she didn't have the nerve to dance like that in this crowd.

All of this together makes me feel kind of like an explosive. I guess it's nice that women have that power in a culture that puts them on pedestals.  But is it power or is it paranoia? I mean, my body might offend people just by existing or moving or being draped in a certain way.  It's already getting to me and it's only been a few weeks.  What if you grew up like this?  I need this study.

I find the idea of value in modesty a little problematic.  On the one hand, it's a bit romantic, and you could argue you respect yourself by not treating yourself like a sexual object or dressing to attract others.

On the other hand, I had a conversation with one guy who was saying that when he sees women on the street who are very immodestly dressed, it causes him pain, because he thinks, "You are so special.  Don't give that away so easily."

And I kind of balked and said, "I don't think my specialness can be rubbed off like I'm some kind of shiny penny.  My specialness exists regardless of how I dress..."

And I believe that.  I believe bikini Ariane and kimono Ariane and Ariane in her winter coat and scarf and hat are equally special. Is it really respecting women to think they need to protect their specialness? Why would you allow your love and admiration and respect for someone to decrease with the amount of clothing they wear?


I think the intention might be a good one but I just don't know about the execution.

Troubling.

On the other hand, what would dating feel like if you knew the guy you were with wasn't expecting you to put out that night?

There's something nice about that.


ENCORE PART: DEPRESSING THOUGHTS OF THE DAY

On the topic of saving children in the holocaust and how to allocate resources, David Ben Gurion said, "Would rather save 250,000 Jewish children by bringing them to Palestine than 1,000,000 by bringing them to England."

For serious, BG?!?

Then we learned about Ben Gurion being an asshole and blowing up a ship full of arms for Israel and almost killing Begin.

Then we learned about the Struma, a ship of about 800 Jewish refugees heading for Palestine.  There was only one toilet and they were out of food and water and their motor broke. The British refused to let them dock there, the Turks refused to let them dock or resupply them.  The Turks towed them out to the black sea and left them there, where the Russians decided they didn't want to deal with them in their waters and fired them and sank the ship and they all died.

Thank God for Begin, I guess, who said all Jews were the responsibility of Israel. Thank God there's one country on Earth that cares about us.

I say "us"...

Although a girl in Jerusalem the other day said to me, "You're not technically Jewish."

image

OH, WHOOPS, REALLY?!?! THANK YOU FOR CLEARING THAT UP.










9 comments:

  1. Oh, you and your girl-plague. Bringing your girl-plaguey girl-plague all over the place.

    Honestly, I have found your posts to be some of the most informative and thought provoking pieces I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bro :). Thanks for reading and commenting <3.

      Delete
  2. SO much to say I can't find the time to write it nor do I want to put pages and pages on your blog. I feel as though I mentally responded to every sentence you wrote and am having much dialogue currently and refraining from rereading as I have calls to make and dogs to walk and appointments at the office... So brief sound bites 1) kitchen keeping shocked me a bit as Armenian kitchens are kept immaculately and orderly but I did relate to the chopping of vegetables in a certain shape/size to fit whatever dish it is meant for! (I learned that with many tsk,tsks directed to me years ago) I have so many thoughts of the rules of sexual protocol but overall feel that the true growing of a relationship puts communication, respect and compatibility first and passion grows through the process. Message to the guys is that anything worth having is worth waiting for! The concept of courting traditionally teaches respect and I suspect assists males in attaining maturity and guides in the shaping of their future role, But then the lovely Songs are written to not have this process turn into a Victorian, repressive relationship but frees and encourages a passionate,loving life together. I have seen the sparkle in the eyes of many Armenian couples and the passion is reflected in the traditional love songs which all have the men in the wooing and pursuing role...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to hear more about your Armenian upbringing sometime! I hope you're right that passion grows, that's far more optimistic than the prevailing theory that passion fades.

    As for the kitchen, I think it's not so much a reflection of Israeli kitchens as it is a reflection of a kitchen used by ~70 twenty-somethings, none of whom take personal responsibility for its maintenance.

    Thanks for reading :) :) I miss you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know, I don't think I've ever actually responded to a blog post before? but I loved reading this, and just wanted to add my reading of the Song of Songs real quick.

    In my helpless romantic, someday-my-prince-will-come teenage years, I had the "do not arouse or awaken love" verses (all three of them!) underlined several times over in my Bible. It always seemed to fit perfectly with the rest of the book - if love (romantic and physical) is really as powerful as described, it's worth exercising a little caution to make sure you don't give it all to the wrong person. A love like the one described can be dangerous if used incorrectly, and is worth waiting for.

    And, as someone who did manage to "wait for marriage", I can say that is absolutely, 100% is worth waiting for. Getting to share and discover sex together, knowing it was something we'd never shared with anyone else, adds tremendous strength, security and unity to our marriage. The waiting part was, like you said, completely unnatural and one of the hardest things I've ever done. But then, a lot of the things God asks us to do (love your enemies, etc) are completely unnatural - but always so much better than the natural human response. So maybe that says more about our human nature than it does about God?

    That's all, just wanted to add my 2 cents :) I miss you tons, and love reading about all of your adventures!! Much love from sunny SoCal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting, Becky! It's great to hear your POV. I miss our car trips to NH and our discussions.

      I can totally get behind the idea that it's worth waiting for marriage, even if it's not my personal choice. I just don't agree that's what Song of Songs is saying. Although it is definitely what many other parts of the Bible say. And love is definitely dangerous... we can both agree Song of Songs is saying that, I think... a fire a flood cannot put out!

      I'm glad your fairy tale came true :). Your life is definitely inspiring and encouraging. I think you should blog!

      Delete
  5. This is probably a disorganized comment, I just wanted to say things about a few things that struck me.

    "you can only have sex in half-light. It's nice because I will always retain some mystique, all my little blemishes will never be on display for someone to see." - this bothers me, because if your spouse and life partner can't see your blemishes and accept and love you with them, who can? Blemishes are not something you need to be ashamed of and hide even from the person you trust more than anyone; they're part of being human, they're what make you you. Sometimes they are intensely personal and spark conversation that means you get to know each other better. The idea of having to hide parts of yourself from your partner just strikes me as a perfect formula to create dishonesty in a relationship. If you're waiting till marriage and learning everything together, then do it for real and learn EVERYTHING together... kiss your partner with her freckles and moles, embrace your partner with his scars and birthmarks. If I can't be who I am without shame even in front of my partner, when can I ever really be myself? To love with blemishes is to love more deeply and honestly than to love on the condition that you never see one another's blemishes, I think.

    "you could argue you respect yourself by not treating yourself like a sexual object or dressing to attract others.... "I don't think my specialness can be rubbed off like I'm some kind of shiny penny. My specialness exists regardless of how I dress..." Is it really respecting women to think they need to protect their specialness? Why would you allow your love and admiration and respect for someone to decrease with the amount of clothing they wear?" - I 100% agree with you here. Call it your specialness, your beauty, whatever else you want, but it's not some finite quantity that decreases as you share it with the world until you have none left. You are a beautiful person and the world should know and acknowledge that as a basic fact of your existence, not contingent on the way you dress. You should express your beauty in whatever way makes you feel comfortable. Some people are uncomfortable showing themselves off and that's fine, but it's not for them to dictate what level of comfort others should have with their own bodies. I also think that, in my personal experience, when I stopped worrying about what other people thought of how attractive/sexy/whatever I looked on a daily basis and started dressing in a way that *I* found attractive/sexy/comfortable, I started feeling really good about myself. My confidence has increased a lot since I decided that anybody who would judge me based on the fact that I'm wearing shorts without shaving my legs is not somebody whose judgement I give a shit about. The only person whose opinion of my physical appearance I care about is the person to whom it is directly relevant (Bobby), and he thinks I'm gorgeous. So fuck the rest of the world's opinion, you know? I'm gorgeous and I get to wear low-cut shirts if I want and dance in public if I want. So do you, and to say otherwise is counterproductive and hurtful to self-confidence. For a society that supposedly puts women on a pedestal, it doesn't seem to acknowledge that they deserve to feel confident and beautiful and make their own choices as much as I'd prefer.
    (contd)

    ReplyDelete
  6. (contd)
    "what would dating feel like if you knew the guy you were with wasn't expecting you to put out that night?" - I'd think it should feel the same as dating... because guys who *expect* you to put out that night aren't guys worth dating. If you want to dress sexily and try to get laid, that's your prerogative, and the guy should see it as a pleasant surprise, not as you living up to some expected set of rules. I don't like the idea of guys who would expect you to do certain things with your body, because they also seem like the sort of guys who would be upset if you disagree with their expectations, and that is definitely not the start of a healthy relationship.

    I don't know what to think of the religious stuff in here, not because I didn't read and think on it, but because of my general attitude that all religious study is basically literary analysis and totally subjective. So to discount an obvious reading for being "wrong" seems to me like completely missing the point of religious study entirely. Usually I try to see things from others' points of view, but I don't think I possess the necessary deference to authority to see it from the rabbinical point of view (accepting the Talmud as the "right" interpretation in spite of the evidence). So I'm not sure what to say except to keep reading and learning and hope that some evidence supporting its correctness comes up eventually.

    I love reading accounts of everything you've visited, but I also really like reading the recent posts you've done that seem to contain more analysis. This is my favorite post so far, I think. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hugs hugs* Thanks for reading!

      I agree that you don't want to date guys who expect you to put out. But there's that pressure in the dating world, anyway. I'm just wondering what the dating world would look like if that were off the table.

      Delete