Sunday, June 9, 2013

Day Two: ROI Conference Start!



So basically this conference is the best thing ever!

I'll start from the beginning.  I had intended to go out into the city today but I decided to take it easy instead.  I really don't want to feel like I have to cram everything into this trip. I want to enjoy myself and my time and I know I will always come back :).  So I took it easy this morning... I slept in, ironed all of my conference clothes, painted my toenails purple, took my time getting ready, lounged on my little balcony... and I'm glad I did because the conference is SO busy!

So this conference is basically a gathering of young Jewish entrepreneurs from all over the globe. There are 150 attendees representing 37 countries! I'm mostly here as a writer, although sales training comes into a lot of these conversations, too. This is the 8th annual conference funded mostly (completely?) by the Schusterman foundation. They paid for our flights, 5 nights hotel, all of our (amazing) meals, our programming... it's spectacular.

It's like... birthright + DI World Championships + swankiness.


For example...
A bellhop came just to give me this nice chocolate
Free, endless supply of frozen lemonade... I nearly died of happiness.

Free, endless supply of edamame...

A chocolate fountain... into which I dipped... everything.
But the best part, of course, is the people!  SO many brilliant, fascinating people, and everyone is kind and excited to meet you.  Just some people I've met:
-This guy who used to do the social networking for Charlie Sheen, then he worked for an Israeli consulate, then he worked on the Obama campaign, now he consults for start ups
-This girl who runs dating match-making parties based on pheromones (This girl is awesome and I can't wait to hear more about this)
-This guy who runs an organization dedicated to Jews and educating Jewish organizations on how to be more intelligent and inclusive
-This girl who patented a shirt that doesn't gape open at the chest when buttoned (I want this)
-This guy who opened a cafe/salon in Jerusalem that sounds like the best hangout ever, I'm totally going after the conference
-This guy who publishes a poetry magazine
-This girl who is a DJ and produces music videos (among other things)
-My roomie is a really sweet girl who is a secular rabbi, which I've loved hearing about
-A girl who made aliyah and then started her own improv troupe to make fun of her experiences in Israel

And on and on.  Everyone has a unique story.  People have been really receptive to my stories, too.  Such a fun community!

Dad, you would like to know that one of the rules of the convention is to say "YES, AND." And "YES, AND" was declared the official phrase of the convention.  You always do this.  I love you.

I've had some humble experiences, I admit. I was talking to two Mexican guys who were really nice.   I didn't know Mexico is technically "The United States of Mexico."  I also didn't know Chihuahua is not just a kind of dog, but also a state, and ALSO a cheese.  I learned the name of some other Mexican states as well.  They said they'd quiz me tomorrow, I'd have to say if things were a state, a cheese, a small dog, or some combination :).  It was funny but also odd to be 'that girl,' you know, the one that doesn't know basic geography.  But it's okay! Now I do know!

One thing I found funny was that they had us do ice breakers, of course, BUT FIRST they gave us all shots.  Hahaha.  That's SO the way to do icebreakers. L'chaim!

Basically I am having a fantastic time! I'm so excited to be making so many new and interesting friends.  That said, I do miss you all at home! I hope you're well.  Comment and say hi :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're meeting so many amazing people! They sound really interesting and cool! The free food/drinks look great! I want to try a chocolate fountain someday! That looks like heaven. haha. :) Love and miss you, Ariane but this blog is really going to be great and reading it makes me feel like you aren't quite so far away. Can't wait to read more of your posts. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're having fun!
    Miss you, but glad you're livin' the dream. I heard a song today and thought of you, but it was the first time I'd heard it, so I don't know which song. (cool story, right?)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds pretty awesome! Thanks for giving us lots of details and pictures. Hope you continue to enjoy .. XO

    ReplyDelete