Saturday, June 8, 2013

Arrival!

There were lots of delays and incidents with my flights, but that's over now!  Delta was surprisingly pleasant... the people were nice, the food was fine, and there were a zillion movies.

Traveling alone is a little lonely, but only a little. I feel like I've interacted with strangers more in the last 24 hours than I would in a week or two at home.  I think travelers are perhaps more open to experience in general, they're looking outward already instead of lost in their own worlds and routines.

I wasn't surrounded by Israelis on the flight this time, but rather about 30 members of a Venezuelan-American church tour, and they did indeed clap and sing when we landed in Israel... well, they sang "HALLELUJAH." They were really friendly and talkative and shared their bottled water with me.  I also met a family on a Baha'i pilgrimage, and they were really friendly, too.

Yoni Netanyahu wrote in a letter to his parents: "Dear mother and father, when I saw the country from the plane I felt a twinge in my heart.  Jerusalem is more beautiful than ever. Perhaps I am a bit sentimental because I haven't seen it for so long.  Despite everything that's wrong here - and God knows there are many faults and evils - it's our country.  And I love her as I always have."

And that's how I felt, too.  It's so gorgeous! From the air and on the ground.  So many trees and flowers, and all these valleys and terraces and gorgeous sunsets! And Jews everywhere! It's fun to be around so many Jews.

The ATM at the airport didn't work, so... thanks Dad for making me take cash to change :). That's how I paid for my cab!  I took a shared taxi, where everyone going to Jerusalem pays about $16.  It was fun because I got to see some neighborhoods I might not otherwise.  Also I met another purple haired lady in the cab who had never been to Israel before and has no idea really what she's going to do except that she's going to be here for 30 days. I asked her what drew her to Israel and she said "The Word is So Strong In Me!!!!"

Speaking Hebrew is tricky.  I keep slipping into Japanese which is not helpful at all.  I get excited whenever I can understand an exchange.  I overheard this in the taxi

Lady: "My house is straight ahead.  Then left, then left."
Driver: "I understand."

Woooo hoooooo!

I like the way Israelis speak.  When I got out at my hotel, this older guard/porter wearing a bunch of friendship bracelets took my suitcase from me and said "It's okay, Miss.  Don't worry. I'm here now."  Thanks, Yakov.

I can read this!

My hotel room is really nice.  I have a balcony all to myself! Look at my view:



Probably my biggest annoyance when it comes to Israel is the way everything shuts down on Shabbat.  I know it's also a charm, that here is a country that actually lives by Jewish law.  But to be frank it can be really disruptive!!! Everywhere to eat around the hotel was closed, and room service was closed.  There was a buffet in the hotel open but it was $50... I decided to go for it.  Sometimes you just have to spoil yourself after traveling.  And I ate a LOT! I had stuffed chicken, roast beef, spicy potatoes, stuffed grape leaves, hummus, rice, purple cabbage salad, beat salad, fried artichoke hearts, regular salad, pluuuuus 2 pieces of cake and 4 slices of ridiculously good watermelon.  So, I guess I got my money's worth.

Then I bought some sandals as stand-ins for the sandals I left at home (long stupid story that I'm putting behind me.) They're not ideal, but they'll do while I look for better ones.  Long shower and hopefully a good night's sleep tonight!

I'm feeling pretty good.  I miss my friends and family but I'm not sick or too worn out or disoriented, and tomorrow I'll be surrounded by people in my program!

You can follow along with that here, if you like!
http://www.roicommunity.org/live

Love you all!

4 comments:

  1. I'm always surprised by how everything seems to be a single uniform color. Is that due to the local building materials? Dust? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! Everything's required to be in "Jerusalem stone."

      Delete
  2. Hey it's Caroline. I just don't want my google account comments to be searchable. I don't understand the interwebs!!

    I have been thinking about you SO MUCH! And I'm SO GLAD to read this. Thanks for writing these updates. You have a committed reader here. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline! Thanks for commenting, it makes me happy to know you are reading :).

      I think of you often and miss you! I love you!

      Delete